Sunday 13 September 2009

Chance Happenings

I was struck today, whilst painting, that the aspect of my work which most excites me is the ability to introduce an element of chance.

St Cuthbert's Island and the sort of atmospheric sky I strive for



There is something quite thrilling about the fact that the final image produced could, to some extent, be beyond my control.


These are my favourite tools for introducing chance, and encouraging random effects

Crumpled and folded cling film.

Water colour flows along tiny transparent veins before drying.



Sea salt.

It absorbs pigment in the wet water colour around it resulting in a wonderfully organic pattern.


Surgical spirit.

Applied sparingly, this slices through wet paint like a knife, leaving a ghostly trail behind it.

I am greedily trying to incorporate all of these techniques in this reworking of a costal view. The work is still in progress.

Beach banks between Easington and Horden.

For more examples of my work check out my website at www.fionanaughtonartworks.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive